As I have a terrible memory for things and sometimes don’t get the time to post things in more details here’s a brief list of all of the things that I’ve been doing and thinking about in January 2022.
General Life Things
- I think I might have got COVID in early January, I lost my taste and smell, had a couple feverish nights and had a sore throat for a couple days that passed quickly. I tested negative on a PCR on the first day but from conversations with others this seems to have been quite common.
- I’ve got the booster booked for late next week which should be good.
- I joined a new gym that’s 24h access and about 400m away from my house. I think it’s safe to say that this is my favourite gym ever at the moment. The proximity is crucial and really removes any excuses for not going.
- I started clearing out a lot of the junk that’s been lying around my house. It feels a lot nicer to have less things. There’s a lesson here.
- Australia has been hot, there’s been a lot of >34C days in the past couple weeks. I struggle a lot in the heat so that has made me a lot more lethargic.
- I managed to injure my neck leading to a pinched nerve at C7, this has impacted things as I need to keep my neck in a neutral position. This is particularly impacting my ability to cycle as well as my ability to handbalance.
- Financially, markets took a bit of a dump at the end of January which has pushed the net worth back a bit. My savings rate remained high at ~58% for the month. I would like to get this up towards 65-70% if I can. The month would have been there but I prepaid a full month at the new gym. I am trying to align my spending with my thick desires (see below note).
- I’ve been testing out twitter, not posting anything, just lurking to see if I can find content that’s valuable. I’ve realised that I don’t really want to post under my real name so I’ll need to work out something pseudoanonymous here if I want this to work I think. Also thinking that it’s probably better to have multiple twitter accounts each dedicated to a different interest. Still learning the platform and how it works.
- That being said, holy shit is there some absolutely insane bullshit on twitter.
- Giant Pipe Bookcase - This now runs the length of one of the walls in my bedroom. This was an exhausting project made worse by the sheer size and awkwardness of everything as well as my lack of planning in terms of getting it done. Definitely learnt a bit getting this one done.
Projects that are in progress
- Home Automation and Quantified Self - I’ve picked up the Raspberry Pi, learnt how to work with data from the EliteHRV extract for HRV and have started looking into the Withings API. Hopefully get the energy to progress this one in the near future.
- Workbenches Build - I’ve worked out what the design and dimensions for these will be. I need to model them out in CAD (opportunity to learn CAD) and then create a bill of materials that I can then purchase.
- Leatherworking Company Setup - Have order a stamp for this and registered a domain. Still need to sort out email etc and a store. More to do on this one but likely going to start with Etsy (simplicity).
- Courtyard Clean Up and Fix Up - This is another thing that I’ve been procrastinating for too long. I’ve arranged some quotes and it looks like it will come in under budget. I just need to clean out the whole area, rip up the old deck and then get the work done…
- Selling Car - I’ve been procrastinating this for far too long at the moment. I have a car that is costing me ~$300-400 per month and I drive it once every 1-2 months. I need to sell it and get rid of the recurring expense.
I’ve put on some weight this month and have been a bit demoralised because of the injured toe and the injured neck. Not the best run with respect to injuries recently. That being said, I am mostly right now and have worked out how to train around the neck at the moment which is a good thing. Just need to do more here.
Also going to try and get back to basics with respect to food. It’s truly incredible just how addictive sugar is if I’m being honest. As soon as the mental willpower wavers a little the cravings come back.
As a consequence I’ve put on ~2kg over the course of the month. That just slow insidious weight gain that comes from having too many carbs. My body just puffs up like a balloon here. Going to try and get back to the more holistic paleo style eating. I am going to give myself a bit of a break for the month due to the potential COVID infection as well as the toe and neck injury.
Things I’m thinking about
- Thick Desires - This has been prompted by reading Wanting by Luke Burgis which is about the role of mimetic desire in everyday life.
- This prompted to write out what I think my own thick desires are, the things that are deep down inside versus the things that are just surface level and inherited from others.
- This was a good exercise, in particular, it gave me a good mental model for how to thing about different activities, that is, whether they align with my thick desires or not.
- It also showed me why I was feeling resistant to certain ideas, namely, they didn’t really align with the thick desires that I had listed for myself.
- I probably need to be careful here of confirmation bias.
- Hydroponics - I’ve been interested in trying out hydroponics for awhile, predominately because the majority of my vegetable intake is leafy greens and there’s potential to both save some money as well as learn something new here.
- Nice Home Environment - Something which has been at the back of my mind is just how nice it is to have a really nice home environment. Something which is comfortable, relaxing, inviting. It’s making me appreciate interior design and space design a lot more.
- Learning how to use CAD - I’ve used Solidworks in previous engineering courses but that was close to a decade ago now, essentially, I know nothing. I want to be able to sketch out designs with measurements so that I’ve got a plan to work towards.
- Leaving Google Services - I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, how much of my life is dependent on gmail and google for various things. This particularly came up as I’m looking at setting up this new business venture. I’ve seen a lot of horror stories of people having issues with their business accounts (for whatever reason) and google blocking their personal accounts in a scorched earth approach. This is kind of terrifying and something that I’d like to protect myself against.
- How nice Financial Independence would be - It’s not that I dislike work. It’s just that financial independence would be nice. Having a bit of extra time off, some extra days here, where I can take long uninterrupted time to work on projects and learn about things that are interesting to me. It’s more of a life that I’d like to lead. Work chops the day and chops the weak up according to someone else’s schedule. It would simply be nice for this to not occur.
- Country Living - I’m thinking about what it would look like to move to to a home which has more space, a better location and something that I could craft into a great environment for myself. I’ve realised that the reason this feels so attractive for me is having the environment where I could make things without all of the various constraints that are from living in an inner city apartment. Definitely trade offs though.
Things I wrote and Published
Things I need to write
- Write up of the Buttero Accent Stripe Wallet I made for my father for Christmas
- Write up of the 3m long Industrial Pipe Bookcase that I recently installed in my bedroom
- Update on the progress for low carb
- Book Review of Wanting by Luke Burgis
- Republish some of my old blog posts from former blogs.
Things I read this month
- The Great Crash 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith
- Wanting by Luke Burgis
- How to live on 24h a Day by Arnold Bennet
- Terms of Service by Jacob Silverman (didn’t finish, it’s bad)