The third edition of the “Open Door” series where I write down some of the different things that are floating around my head.
Have got a working DHT22 based sensor working using the ESP32. Managed to learn Docker and Docker Compose so I was able to get Home Assistant working on my local machine. I still need to move this to a Raspberry Pi or other equivalent style server so that it’s not linked to my desktop but this is a really good start.
I’ve also picked up some soldering gear as part of a push towards buying more tools so that I can work on things in a more unconstrained manner, this is a bit more of an investment into the future as I haven’t really used it yet but this is still a “watch this space” kind of idea.
Also toying with the idea of picking up some cheapish ESP8266 NodeMCU chips to use instead of the ESP32. They’re about 1/3rd the price of the ESP32 chip that I was using which could be really good. I’ve seen some things which state the ESP8266 is a bit harder to use and I went down a couple rabbit holes regarding things like Tasmota and the like which I probably didn’t need to. That’s okay but not really essential.
I’m still thinking about the best way to approach this going forward, I still have my old mkdocs instance which is “okay” to use. Potentially I could dockerise this and put it on a Raspberry Pi as well so that I have a notes instance for myself. The problem I’ve found is that the instance is incredibly slow to render and that it feels quite limiting.
I’ve been looking at other alternatives like Obsidian and Roam but I’m not sure if I like Roams closed source approach and Obsidian is also quite pricey for the synchronising option at $4 (USD) a month which isn’t the best. I’ve also toyed with Notion as well which once again doesn’t seem to fit my use case. I found the “Zettelkasten” plugin for Sublime Test 3 a bit too unstable and it was in the same spot as the local Mkdocs instance that I’ve been running.
I wonder if I could potentially use Hugo to do this but I’d likely need to spin up a bunch of custom templates to make it work for my use case.
Thinking a little bit more out loud, I want a place where I can:
- Write structured text (headers/links/bold/italic)
- Include code snippets and samples
- View the rendered output, I don’t want to be staring at raw markdown all the time
- Is searchable
- Can handle tables in a semi coherent fashion
- Can handle equations
This is progressing well.
- Weight: Down to 83.0 kg (as of this morning). A drop of about 1.5-2kg consistently since when I started a month ago. Am in the meal prepping routine at the moment.
- Running: Completed a 4.2km run yesterday, my first run a few weeks ago was at 2.2kg so I’ve added about 2km in the past 3 weeks as well as increasing the speed that I was going at. This is still going well and is beginning to feel like less of a complete slog. Aim is to get to a full 5km and then start to increase speed.
- Handstand Pushup: Achieved a double on this for the first time… ever… which is a major milestone. Need to work on a little bit of shoulder flexibility and make sure that I’m still training the basic strength pattern but I’m super happy with this. Goal is to be able to hit triples consistently (e.g. multiple times per workout).
- Handstand: Haven’t really been training this, need to do a bunch of work on shoulder flexibility
- Straight Arm Handstand Press (Straddle): Achieved my first ever, reasonably solid, rep of this the other day
I’m also thinking about creating my own pulley system so that I can more finely control the support that I’m getting in different positions, this is predominately for the one arm chin training but it could likely be adapted to things like the planche. Something to think about.
- Still ticking along here
- Nothing major to report
Turns out the real estate sector is opening up a month earlier than I had planned following the COVID lockdowns. Will need to keep building the cash deposit and look to purchase in the next three months.
Need to sort my tax out as well for the last fin year.
Markets are volatile.
Have started a new series loosely titled “Redundancy” which should span 5-6 articles once I’m done with it. This is based on a set of ideas which has been bouncing around my head for awhile. I’m going to take the time to explore them fully in my own mind at least before publishing.
- Finished “The Shadow Rising”, currently reading “The Fires of Heaven” in the Wheel of Time Series (40% through)
- Have started reading “The Black Swan” by NNT again, about 33% through. Going to try and read some more non fiction books
- Learnt how to rip out a stitch by removing some darts from a couple shirts which had been tailored too tightly through the lats, whilst they fit at the waist apparently my chest is too big
- Thinking about learning how to tailor all of my clothes, don’t want to invest too much in a sewing machine though which is the problem
- Gradually just upgrading a number of things in my life, the number of parcels being delivered is real